Friday, January 17, 2014

Woe Potato Me!

Today was not a good day.

There was biting, hitting, crying, and falling limp onto the floor in a screaming tantrum.
The only good part was that he tired himself out so much that by 2:00pm, he fell asleep in his high chair during lunch.  Seriously, I turn to my left to look at him, and his head is suddenly hanging down and he is out like a light, with a piece of pita chip sticking out of his lips.  Classy.

Yesterday was a bit better.  As per his therapist's suggestion, we started acclimating him to touching different textures, especially the wet ones.  I decided that this would be a great use of some of the pouched food I bought that he refused to eat.  Bring on the white beans and sweet potato!  I didn't really think this one through...

I am sure you see where I am going with this, but let me just add that I made the super smart decision to put the high chair in the living room, hoping that a change in scenery would help him not associate any negative feelings about sensory training with his feelings about eating.
And... my carpet is a light beige.

Did you know that sweet potato stains?

See, Caleb made a mess.
He clapped his hands together and saw it fly all over the living room.  This was great fun for him.  Sweet potato was flying everywhere.  On the floor, on me, on the dogs.  I clearly did not plan ahead well.

Thank goodness I did plan for him to have a bath afterwards; the bath was already full of water when he was done making a mess.  I did torture my poor baby by washing his hair (and yes, I even conditioned it) and I was cruel enough to wash his face.  But, Caleb loves his bath time enough that I think he forgot all of the sweet potato horror, and how he got about a full teaspoon in each eye.

I, on the other hand, did not forget the sweet potato incident so easily, as I spent a good 30 minutes on my hands and knees, spot-shotting the carpet during Caleb's nap.


No comments:

Post a Comment