Thursday, January 9, 2014

Alex, Steve, and Caleb makes 3

Today started out pretty rockin'.  Caleb slept in a bit so I was able to drink my coffee and read Huffington Post at my leisure in absolute silence.  Amazing.  Caleb was in good spirits when he woke up and in the late morning we packed up and ventured out to run a few errands. 

First we went to Target.  I always go to the toy section.  Cause I am a sucker for a cute face.  While I was looking at their action figures, I listened to an older boy go on and on about how he loves his Buzz Lightyear toy; My friend Audrey's son also has that toy and is very fond of it.  When I handed the toy to Caleb, he was enthralled with it, even though it was still in the box.  (Right now Buzz is in our bedroom - we are waiting for the weekend to give him the gift.)  I don't make these purchases every day, but I justified it by the fact that my birthday is in February, so I will just use money from my bday to cover it.

My husband and I are always trying to find Caleb just the right toy.  For example, I will see Caleb enjoying a toy during his therapy session and then I will try and find that toy, only to learn that it is discontinued.  Or I will think that I have the perfect toy for him and then he will use it once and never touch it again.

I listened to our first speech and language evaluator about getting toys that have a "doing something" and then "get something" that is musical.  So far those toys are fairly entertaining for Caleb.  But, mostly loves his cars and his duplos. The evaluator also mentioned something about getting him figures so Caleb can "put them to bed" and "brush their teeth," which I put in quotes because these would be directives we give to Caleb. 

Instead of the traditional dolls, we got him superheros.  Because, why not, right??  And since we live in a suburb of Detroit, he totally had to have a talking Robocop!  Today we unwrapped Robocop and Captain America, each a 12" action figure, and let Caleb play with them.  Even though my husband and kept any small choking hazard (including Robocop's sweet guns), Caleb enjoyed every second with his new un-caped crusaders. 

Now only time will tell if Caleb likes these new toys for longer than 24 hours.  Right now my only worry is whether Robocop is going to put some hurtin' on me when I tell him to eat his vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment