Sunday, January 12, 2014

Books

In order to learn more about what Caleb is going through, I am trying to research Autism and audio processing issues as much as possible. 

My husband and I both have degrees that deal with how the brain works and how people learn; my husband got his B.S. in Psychology at the U of M and I have a Master's degree in Instructional Technology from Wayne State University.  (I completed the coursework for the Ph.D. but I got pregnant with Caleb so I have yet to take qualifying exams or write my dissertation.)  My husband has a better grasp on why Caleb acts or reacts the way he does while I better understand the interventions.

Another thing my husband have in common is that we deal with adversity by researching the crap out of it.  That is probably why I have gone to every blog and every website imaginable, reading whatever I can about Autism and language/speech problems.  However, I have gotten to a point where I need professional advice.  That is why I have turned to books; I would have preferred to stick with free information, but the following books are worth the money.

For Autism:  The Reason I Jump - This book is written first hand by a 13 year old Japanese boy with Autism. It was written originally in Japanese and then translated into English; there are a few phrases that I wonder about in terms of translation, but over all the translation feels very sound and seamless.  I have not yet finished this book (I am about 60% though); so far I have been felt intrigued, compassionate toward the writer, and a greater understanding of what my kid is going through and what he might go through.  There is a lot of repetition in themes, such as how hard conversation is and how desperately this kid wants you to accept him and be patient with him.  There are also some real heartbreaking parts, including how hard he is on himself.  Taking place in a question and answer format, this book is an easy read, and even better, easy to read in quick segments.

For Audio Processing Issues:  The Sound of Hope  - This book is a book on Central Audio Processing Disorder, which cannot be tested and diagnosed until a child is 7.  That said,conditions like CAPD (or APD) are found in much younger children like my son.  My son's therapists don't have a name for Caleb's condition because of his young age, so they say that he has "impressions" of APD.  But, basically, my son has APD, even if he is too young for the diagnosis.  This book is wonderful to read, and the foreward written by Rosie O'Donnell is particularly touching.  While I understand that not everything in this book is going to apply to my child since the gap between Caleb's age of 2 and the diagnosis age of 7 is quite great, the overall science remains the same, and that is what has sustained me and leads me to recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment