Friday, January 24, 2014

Rear View Window

 

Caleb used to spend a lot of time sitting on the back of the couch, looking out the window.  He loved to look at the world going by.  Every swaying tree branch, every running squirrel held some fascination for him.  I would join him in gazing out into the world, sharing the experience of loving the simple yet complex pleasures of a front yard.

That was months ago. 

Caleb hasn't climbed onto the back of the couch like he used to.  His awesome climbing skills are now less than average and he doesn't have the body awareness to balance himself on the back of the couch.

Today was the first day since the summer that Caleb has gazed out the window.  I was lucky I had my camera ready and luckier even still that the only shot I got off was a keeper.  As soon as the camera clicked, Caleb lost interest in the great outdoors, jumped off the couch, and started playing with a small plastic animal.

Sometimes it just hits me how much Caleb has changed.

I never thought I would get so emotional about my son looking out the window...

No comments:

Post a Comment