Monday, January 6, 2014

Cuddle Car Time

Every morning when Caleb wakes up, he gets 7-8 oz of warm milk in a bottle and he drinks it while sitting cuddled next to me while we watch a little television.  We have done this routine every day since he was 6 months old.  It is usually I who performs this routine, but occasionally my husband will do it, like on weekends or vacation.  Over the past couple months, Caleb has hopped off the couch before his milk was finished and has enjoyed the rest of the milk while playing.

Today was the first day that Caleb did not let me put my arm around him.  He picked up my hand and moved it back over to my side.  He scooted away from me so he wasn't touching me.  This morning routine was usually the only time I got physical affection from my son, and now it seems that is gone too.

Later on, Caleb was by himself playing with his cars.  I sat down beside him, quietly.  He sat up and handed me a car.  And when I rolled the car on the floor, he took it and handed me another one.  I decided to grab a car that moves when you pull it back.  Caleb snatched it up and felt the wheels move on his hand.  I grabbed 2 more cars like it, Caleb grabbing each car after it wiggled through the foyer. 

Okay, so it wasn't cuddles.  But we were communicating in a silent, car revving way.  And, it was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment