Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Darkness and Light

 Today my best friend, Audrey, came over with her son, Damien.  Caleb and Damien have always gotten along so well; they were due 2 days apart, so being close in age helped them have developmental commonalities. 

This time, watching my son play with Damien was a bit heartbreaking.  Caleb was horribly rude, constantly taking toys out of Damien's hands; Caleb had no understanding of Damien as a person who has feelings.  Caleb was self-centered and selfish; he wanted what he wanted, and he wanted it right then.  I didn't realize how demanding Caleb was until I compared him to Damien. 

Don't get me wrong.  2 year olds in general are a handful, and I get that 2 year olds do not comprehend the concept of sharing.  I don't expect that of my child.  But Caleb wasn't acting like the boy he used to - I guess that is the point I keep on coming back to.

My child is changing.

I see it everyday in every little thing he does.  And I want to stop it.  I want to call a "time out," put a plug in the sinking sand, or something.

Audrey was very kind about how my son was acting.  She is very understanding and since she has a brother with similar symptoms (but different circumstance), she is able to relate.  At the same time, I felt responsible when her son melted down because Caleb stole Buzz Lightyear for the zillionth time.  Should I really discipline an autistic 2 year old who won't understand what I am saying anyway?

But where there is darkness, there is also light.

Recently, my son has learned how to make fishy faces and he has started to actually kiss people.  Today Damien and Caleb shared a sweet embrace and kiss.  It was quite lovely.  Maybe Caleb will be bi, cause honestly, there were sparks in that kiss, I swear.  :)

Caleb has also practiced making fishy faces with daddy.  Last night, Caleb spent 20 minutes sitting on daddy's lap, touching his face, sharing fishy faces, and giggling.  These are the good nights.  These are the nights that make me realize that even though my son is changing, he will always be my son; he will always be sweet, loving, silly, and a damn good kisser.


No comments:

Post a Comment