Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Destination YouTube

My husband and I are constantly exploring new ways to connect with Caleb, and one way is through music.  He loves music, but like all things, he is very opinionated about it.  He has very strong opinions about what makes a good song. 

  • First of all, female singers are bad.  He will not stand for them.  I think my horrible singing to him as a baby is to blame for this.
  • Slow songs or ballads are out.  These are also bad and should burn for all time.
  • Guitars are a must and should be featured strongly.
  • The music cannot be too fast, or Caleb cannot follow it; these songs too must burn.
My husband, Caleb, and I will gather around the computer (and getting Caleb to a computer is like getting a Bear to a pot of honey) and venture onto YouTube. From there, we will try to guess which songs he might like.  If Caleb likes the song, he watch the video.  If Caleb does not like the song, he will move our hands to the keyboard or he will smack his hands on the table.

Quite often during the video, Caleb will play on our computers.  He likes to see what happens when he pushes the buttons.  My new computer has a touch screen, and so he is also experimenting with that.  I love to see how fearless he is and how he learns from trying.  For example, he knows that with Windows 8, the windows button will bring up the panel screen, and if you push it again, the panel screen will disappear.  He likes to change the volume, page up and page down, and sometimes even restart the computer.

So far, Caleb has approved of:
  • Duran Duran - Come Undone
  • U2 - Vertigo
  • New Order - Blue Monday
  • Led Zepplin - Black Dog
  • Klingon Style - a parody of Psy's Gangnam Style
  • Ylvis - The Fox
  • GiggleBellies - Cause it is Kiddie Crack and you know it.
My father was an audiophile, so I have a ton of music in my back pocket.  My husband and I have exposed Caleb to countless songs, but quite often he will tap out after a couple seconds.  We are always trying to find new music for him, and hopefully one day this list will contain as many as 10, maybe even 15 songs!


No comments:

Post a Comment