Thursday, February 6, 2014

Penguins are now my second favorite animal

Today was another good day.

Our friends Audrey and Damien came over to play, which is always fun.  Caleb interacted better with Damien by being more inclusive in play, doing a lot of hugs, and not being possessive of toys.  Caleb still engaged in some inappropriate play, namely hugging Damien head first so that it looks like a headbutt, and trying to sit on Damien's back when Damien was on all fours.

Overall I am sincerely impressed with the improvement of Caleb's behavior, and it is hard not to attribute it to the change of diet.

Another interesting note is that while Caleb isn't drinking more fluids, he is peeing more.  It seems that gluten allergies can cause dehydration.  I wasn't expecting Caleb's extra flow, and earlier today he totally overflowed his diaper and soaked his pants.  Oops...

This afternoon he ate more bits of apple.  So cool.
He napped for 3 freaking hours and I then had to wake him up so he would go to bed at a reasonable hour.  Amazeballs.

THEN.
Caleb was playing on his Kindle Fire - it was some app where a cartoon animal appears and then it has the written name of the animal, it says the name of the animal, and the animal makes a sound.

The Kindle said, "Penguin."
Caleb then opened his mouth and quietly but purposefully said, "Pen-gi-en."

Kid. You. Not.

I nearly fell over.  I sat there slack-jawed and all stupid-like and then called for my husband.  I explained it to him, and he exclaimed, "NO WAY!"

And then we didn't know what to do with ourselves because this awesome little moment came and went and we wanted to make it last as long as possible.  So, we just were still, waiting for something else to happen, but nothing did. 

So, I called my mom and relived the moment again.

Truth is, there will be more moments like this one.  I have faith that there will be.  Some people have faith in God or Jesus or Angels.  I have faith in Caleb.  After all, he is my favorite monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment