Wednesday, February 5, 2014

gfcf is drama free

Tuesday while I was at MHNI, my husband took my son across the street to Whole Foods and picked up a bunch of gluten-free/casein-free foods for Caleb.  Some were hits (the pretzels, cereal bars), and some were misses (freeze-dried chickpeas, crackers that had whey in them).  But overall, we got enough stuff to start Caleb on his new gfcf diet.

We had already replaced his regular milk with soy milk, which was easy enough since I drink soy milk.  I know that some people also do soy free, but that shit is crazysauce.  Basically, then you are reduced to eating no processed foods at all, which is fine for adults, but for an autistic kid who only wants pretzels, my child would starve.  Seriously.

Already on Tuesday we noticed a difference.  While shopping, we fed him snacks he had on hand that were already gfcf.  My husband had to keep him occupied while I was at my appointment, but it seemed easier for Caleb to be patient and happy for longer.  I was even able to stop at Beaumont for a blood test and then at Walgreens to drop off some scripts before heading home.  All in all, we had been on the road from 8am until 12:30pm, and my son was still in a good mood.  Insane.

Later that day, he seemed in a good place, so I thought I would do a little therapy homework with him.  I started with the hardest first: the puzzle.  I could never get him to sit still in my lap and work a puzzle with me.  Well, that day, he did it.  We then did the stacking rings, and he never got frustrated or angry; he concentrated and had fun, and when he was done he didn't kick or throw things, he simply walked away.  He went into the other room, so I thought I would push my luck once more - I called for him to come to me.  I called out twice and waited, and then I heard his voice getting louder; for the first time in 2 months, he came right to me when I called for him.  I hugged Caleb and praised him, and decided that I should stop testing him, because it really couldn't get any better than that.

Today he woke up early from a nightmare, around 5 am.  After some sweet daddy cuddles he went back to bed, and then was back up at 7, and back to his sweet happy self.  There were no real changes to his behavior, but he was just calmer than usual - Less freak outs and tantrums.  Then he pooped (and sorry this is gross, but it is important) and he had a normal, soft poo.  Usually he is constipated so he only poops every 2-3 days, and when he does he can hurt himself.  This was different - it was normal.  Amazing.

Then, during my morning snack, I had an apple.  Caleb climbed onto the table and touched my apple.  I offered him a piece, and to my shock, he ate it!  I offered other small pieces, but he didn't want them.  Instead, he grabbed my big piece of apple (about 1/3 of an apple) and started licking it.  He put it in his mouth, and over the course of 5 minutes, ate the whole thing.  He hadn't eaten an apple since the summer, and he usually can't stand to touch anything wet like that.  Albert and I were amazed.

At dinner, he ate fries (baked, not fried), which again, he has refused to eat for months.  In addition to his improved eating habits, today he has not had any violent episodes, no major breakdowns, no real drama of any kind.  I mean sure, he uses his intonation to communicate need, so he may sound more in distress at times, but his physical state does not convey that distress.  His body has been looser, allowing me to manipulate his hands when I show him the proper sign language.

So, this all sounds too good to be true.
I am very much waiting for the other shoe to drop.
But, if it doesn't, then it is really good for now but I also worry about Caleb as he grows up.
Poor Caleb won't be able to eat a good chocolate bar and I won't be able to fix his fever with matzah ball soup.  He can never eat fast food with his buddies.

But, for now, at least he has gluten-free pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment