Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Migraines?

My husband and I both get migraines which are bad enough that we have to be on preventatives and see a neurologist about once a month.  So, while expected that our child would probably suffer from migraines as well; what we didn't expect is how young our child would be when the migraines would start.

My husband and I believe that Caleb is already suffering from migraines.  It is hard to pinpoint what exactly makes us believe this, but it is a combination of things.   First of all, when he has what we perceive to be a migraine, he is very sensitive to sound and light, which are common reactions for a person having a migraine. Secondly, he gets clumsy, stumbling and dropping things.  Next, he is grumpy and irritable, and exhibits behavior that usually means he is in pain.  Add all of these things up and sprinkle in instances when he squints looking at the TV or cries because his kindle app is suddenly loud, and consider that children with autism are more likely to suffer from headaches in general, and we have concluded that Caleb probably gets migraines.  It is also meaningful that some of the migraine symptoms disappear after an administration of ibuprofen.

Now, to be honest, my husband and I could be totally off.  And I really hope we are.  I hope this is something else completely benign and Caleb is migraine free.  But, just in case, we have an appointment with a Pediatric Neurologist in early April.

Do you know how hard it is to find a Pediatric Neurologist?  In Michigan, there are only 4 medical organizations that have Pediatric Neurologists.  FOUR.  In the whole darn state.  At the University of Michigan, you need a reference from you Pediatrician saying that your child needs this appointment, and then depending on the severity of your needs (according to the judgement of the doctors) you can get an appointment anywhere between May and next January.

Yup, you read that right.  Next January.
So, basically, if we went with U of M, Caleb could possibly be having migraines until next January without any sort of medical intervention.

Um, no thanks.

Then, this other private organization required not only a reference from my pediatrician, but notes from her dictation as well, and her dictation had to state that Caleb needed to see a Pediatric Neurologist.  Well, actually, it was the doctors at Henry Ford Hospital who said that he should see someone.  So, that one was a no-go as well.

Finally, I called the Children's Hospital.  Not only did they not need a reference of any sort, they have a doctor right near me.  All they needed was my insurance information and I picked a day.  So easy I was confused.  Thank goodness for them.

So, today I think Caleb had another migraine.  I could tell when the ibuprofen wore off.  He is actually sleeping during nap time, and sleeping a lot.  This is something that he inherited, and quite possibly from me.  I gave him this. 

More guilt.
Throw it on the pile.

My poor lil' monkey...

No comments:

Post a Comment