Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Better Times A Comin'

Every so often, I have to admit, I get a pang in my stomach and I close my eyes and wish to god that Caleb didn't have autism.  I wish that it all just goes away and my son is normal and he says my name and talks just fine and my life is just, well, normal.  These pains haven't yet gone away, and I don't know if they do, to be honest.  I do know that as we settle into our little routine, they are getting fewer and further in between.

I still get sad.  I still think, "we us?"  But then, I focus on the positives.

Like yesterday.  Caleb has been making so many of these wonderful images with paint, marker, and stickers, so we thought it would be great if he made one for his cousin, Benton.  (http://blessingsforbenton.blogspot.com/)  As Caleb was picking out My Little Pony stickers, I casually asked Caleb to pick out my favorite pony, Fluttershy - and then he did!  So then we quizzed him again to pick out Pinkie Pie, and he was able to again!  Finally, my husband asked Caleb to point to Twilight Sparkle, and Caleb picked out a friendship banner.  My husband admitted defeat, but when Caleb removed his finger from the banner, there was Twilight Sparkle on the left hand side of the banner.  He had done it again!

This wasn't just chance - this was real communication.  This meant that he has understood a lot more than we previously thought.  Just because he doesn't speak doesn't mean he doesn't know.

Then today in Early On class, he didn't scream and cry during singing circle.  It was amazing.  He was, dare I say it, the good kid.  Seriously.

We have only been at therapy for 3 months and already we are seeing such improvement.  I have so much faith in my little monkey.  I know it is so hard for Caleb; I see him working and trying so hard all the time.  I wish life weren't so difficult for my son.  Like I said, I wish I could make it all better for him.  But, now only he can make it better for himself; all I gotta do is remove every obstacle in his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment